CLAYTON FREE PRESS
Now – Also covering community news and events from Elk Township, NJ !
NEW COUNCIL & SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS INSTALLED
With Resignations Come New Appointments
With recent resignations of elected and appointed incumbents serving on the Borough Council and School Board, three residents stepped up to serve in those positions.
On Clayton Borough Council, with the resignation of Vonzora (Vonnie) Jackson, Christina Moorhouse was selected from a list of three people recommended to Council by the Clayton Democrat Party. According to information available, “Moorhouse is a longtime resident of Clayton”, and “has been the treasurer of the local soccer team, cookie mom for Girl Scouts of America, and has helped with local community events” in the Borough. Also according to public information, Moorhouse works as a licensed professional sales agent with a Mullica Hill area Realtor.
On the Clayton School Board, April Ward and Steven Awalt were recently appointed to serve as new members on that Body.
ELK PROMOTES TWO TOP OFFICERS WHILE CLAYTON LOSES TWO
Elk Township Committee took a positive step towards strengthening their public safety in February as two top Police Officers were promoted to lead their Police Department before a packed Township Committee meeting. Acting Elk Township Police Chief Steven Hughes was formally promoted to serve as the Department’s new official Police Chief, and Police Corporal Edward Gonnelli was promoted to the rank of Police Lieutenant.
While Elk officials moved to firm up their Police Department, Clayton PD lost two long term Officers to retirement.
Clayton Police Sergeant Mark Konnick left service in December of 2018, retiring from his 24-year career of making our streets safer – and friendlier – as a highly valued and respected Officer with the Borough’s Police Department. Konnick started his public safety career with the Wildwood Police Department, later joining the Clayton PD in December 1994. He became a full-time officer in 1999 and was promoted to Sergeant in 2008. Sergeant Konnick also served as Treasurer of the Clayton F.O.P. #130 for two decades.
On January 29, the Clayton Police Department said good bye to Patrolman Donavun Rhodes after 25 years of dedicated service to the residents of Clayton Borough.
CLAYTON ELKS GROW BY 27
Elks Lodge Celebrates 151 Years of Service with New Member Induction
Clayton Elks Lodge #2132 enjoyed a double celebration in February as it reached its 151st year of service to the nation with the induction of 27 new members. Those members included Alex and Rob Convery, Barb and Dave Haynes, Christian Gillespie, Danielle Battstone, Dave Carroll, Dave Czarnecki, Dave D’Amico, Francis Spence, Jon Frantz, Karen and Frank Nuss, Karen Perri, Kelly and Robert Albano, Kevin Nesko, Kim Mecca, Lynne Salayda, Michael Bradley, Nicole and Guy Haslett, Peggie and Scott Kramme, Rebecca Brayen, Steve Severino, and Vince Giordano.
In addition to the 27 new members, nine elected officers and four appointed officers of the Lodge participated in the event, including Exalted Ruler: Doug Freund, Esteemed Leading Knight: Tarence Smith, Esteemed Loyal Knight: Ken DeLuca and Esteemed Lecturing Knight: Barb Freund.
For information about The Elks and about how you can become a member, go to: https://www.elks.org/who/default.cfm
GET COPIES OF THE CLAYTON FREE PRESS – FREE
While we have ceased direct mail of our newspaper, you can still pick up a copy free of charge at any of the following locations:
- Heritages – 419 N Delsea Drive
- Doughty’s Furniture – 333 N Delsea Drive
- Acme – 20 S Delsea Drive
- Clayton Building Supplies – 734 N Delsea Drive
- Clayton Branch – U.S. Post Office – 732 N Delsea Drive
- Dunkin Donuts – 302 N Delsea Drive
- Kenny’s Liquor – 414 S Delsea Drive
- Best Food In Town Chinese Kitchen – 232 S Delsea Drive
- Dollar Stop Plus Convenience – 4 N Delsea Drive
- The Laundry Place – 4 N Delsea Drive
- County of Gloucester Offices – 1200 N Delsea Drive
- Gloucester County Animal Shelter – 1200 N Delsea Drive
- Clayton Borough Senior Center – 1 Garwood Road
- Clayton Mews – 865 N Delsea Drive (we will drop-off directly for residents)
- Clayton School District (For School Administration, Staff and Instructors only)
- Clayton Borough Hall – 125 N Delsea Drive
- Rustic Village Apartments & Townhomes – 315 S Delsea Drive
- Trinity United Methodist Church – 351 N. Delsea Drive
We are also offering subscription service to the paper, at $13.49 for March through year-end issues (That about $1.50 per issue). A subscription form can be printed from our Facebook page, at: https://www.facebook.com/ClaytonNJFreePress/
If you are a fixed-income shut-in without internet access, and are unable to get to a location where you can pick-up a copy, call us at 856 243 2499 and we will make arrangements.
Of course, each issue will also be available to read on-line, right here (see below).
Thank you for reading the Clayton Free Press – we hope you continue to do so going forward!
Clayton Clippers of the month!
Our 14 Clayton Clippers of the Month for January included:
- In Simmons Elementary School, Nah’mier Nesmith, Makayla Clark (not pictured), Stephen Rodriguez, Olivia Dymond, Bianca Wiltsey, Gabriel Hill, and Alana Metcalf were honored.
- In Clayton Middle School, special recognition was given to Mark Manera, Mario Alavez-Lopez and Ta’Kenya Greer.
- In Clayton High School, our Clippers of the Month included Jordyn Rubinsky, Daniela Gonzalez, Anthony Dewees, and Alyvia Raively
Congratulations to these most outstanding students from the Clayton Free Press and the Clayton community!
You can read our March 2019 issue below:
Please don’t forget to visit, like and follow us on Facebook!
CLAYTON FREE PRESS – New Jersey Free Press, LLC
P.O. Box 201, Clayton, NJ 08312
Publishers and Editors, The Clayton Free Press
How to contact your Borough Elected Officials
All of the following can be reached through the Borough switchboard, at: 856-881-2882
- Mayor Tom Bianco – email@example.com
- Council President Tony Saban – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilman Charles Simon – email@example.com
- Councilwoman Darlene Vondran – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilman Frank Brown – email@example.com
- Councilman Frank Rollo – firstname.lastname@example.org